Smartasses of the world unite!!

Generally a smartass and believer in the Twainism that Against the assualt of laughter, nothing can stand. Mission: mock bigotry, narcisism, and ignorance. This is a collection of thoughts on baseball, politics, economics, and occasional other things.

Follow me on Twitter

Sunday, February 22, 2015

Beautiful songs that are ......... so ......... fuckin' ......... sad

Music, our lives are filled with moments linked to song. Stories of wedding days, graduations, children's births, first loves, and kisses have all been set to so many pretty pieces of music. There's no shortage of pretty love songs. There's also no shortage of angry music telling angry stories. Now, I'm not a musician so when I hear the musical part of a song, and think if I like it, love it or whatever. Words, I think, I get since I use them. Maybe that's why I pay attention and think about them a little more than the music. Usually a song's lyrics match the music in emotional content and intensity, so it really grabs my attention when they don't. Putting a sad lyrical story to a beautiful piece of music strikes me as a more difficult thing to do. I thought it'd worthwhile to put together a list of the best examples.

Brilliant Disguise - Bruce Springsteen

Bruce has plenty of sad ass songs; The River, Atlantic City, Meeting Across The River, Downbound Train. Those are sad to be sure, but they are totally sad. They have a sad melody and a sad story. Brilliant Disguise has a delicateness to the melody, and the guitar riff has a nice dance to it, but the guy is realizing his wife does not love him, might be cheating on him, and he's pretty much decided to live with it, refuse to love her back, and just play the part of half a couple.
"God have mercy on the man who doubts what he's sure of." Dude - no shit!



The Millworker - James Taylor

A delicate little acoustic guitar picking, and a pretty piano accompaniment are the musical heart of this song. We hear a girl (I know - James Taylor is not a girl....imagination people) recount her past, her regrets, and her happy memories as she lets us know that she feels this life of hers has been wasted. Her grandfathers stories of his time as a sailor, and her memories of playing with her father are juxtaposed against her life as alcoholic's widow, the kids she's left with, and the realization that she's little more than a human tool in a mill, and she's accepted that.
"Waiting on a daydream to take me through the morning, to get me in my coffee break where I can have a sandwich and remember." Shit - ever think a different job would help?



I Am A Rock - Simon and Garfunkel

Paul's simple, plucky guitar along with the duo's tight harmonies make this really nice to listen too, but you listen and the protagonist in the song is singing about being lonely, and that to deal with it all he's decided to just build up wall around him, and not give a fuck.
"I have no need of friendship. Friendship causes pain. It's laughter and loving I disdain." C'mon man!! Seriously!?!?



Lyin Eyes - The Eagles

A gentle strum, a twangy country guitar lick, and those tight tight Henley, Frey, and Meisner harmonies belie our songs main character's regret that she married for money and is miserable. She lies to get out of the house to see her young lover. She knows she's lying, and she thinks her husband knows she's lying, and despite promising to come back to see her lover, someday, forever, she knows she's going to keep on lying because that's the life she's chosen.
"Did she get tired, or did she just get lazy? She's so far gone she feels just like a fool." Damn!!



Straight Into Darkness - Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers

Now, beauty is subjective, and I find Petty's jangly guitar and layers of rhythm on his music it's own form of pretty so maybe I'm pushing pretty here, but the lamentation the of the lyrics of feeling love, and then having the feeling one day be just gone is just tragedy realized.
"Real love is a man's salvation. The weak ones fall. The strong carry on." No shit Tom. No shit.



Dead Flowers - Rolling Stones

This is built on a country lick (yes by the Rolling Stones), with a twangy rhythm that just bounces. as Mick - in his best country drawl - sings of what the protagonist imagines his lost love's fabulous life is as he spirals down. We don't know why. It just is.
"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon, and another girl takes my pain away." Sunnuvvabitch!!! What the fuck happened Mick!?!?




Killin Time - Clint Black

A proud guitar riff and a cheery steel guitar accompany this tale of a man who's lost the love he thought would be with him forever. How? Why? Don't know. That's never explained, but the song's protagonist has decided that he's just gonna dull the sorrow and regret over "if he'da done the things he oughta" in liquor until he's dead.
"If there's an end to all my sorrow, and this is the only price I'll pay, I'll be a happy man when I go, and I can't wait another day." That's fucking dark dude! Get a dog, or a hobby!



I don't know. Maybe sadness is just as delicate as love is. Maybe juxtaposing the two makes emphasizes the fine line between the extremes. Maybe the beauty makes us pay attention to the sadness. We've all felt the highs of love, and life's hope followed by crushing loss and regret. That could be the point. I don't know. There are more examples I can think of. Maybe there'll be a part II of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment