Smartasses of the world unite!!

Generally a smartass and believer in the Twainism that Against the assualt of laughter, nothing can stand. Mission: mock bigotry, narcisism, and ignorance. This is a collection of thoughts on baseball, politics, economics, and occasional other things.

Follow me on Twitter

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Saved by Springsteen.....

Read this last night, and again this morning.

Don't know where you are regarding Bruce. Many are all over the place. Love - hate - everything between. I liked this list too. Lucky Town is probably the most overlooked Springsteen piece. I think Downbound Train is overlooked as well. I think that Badlands is a glaring omission, as is Promised Land,and Brilliant Disguise. Aside from that it's a good list.

There's something about the personal power lyrics in the songs that got me, and continue to get me. The simple dignity of personal redemption, and the power of faith in yourself, and others around you resonates as well.

Going through a divorce is about the suckiest thing one can do. I know it's my suckiest experience. Having said that I still consider myself a pretty lucky person. No tragic deaths, nor perilously ill children have afflicted me. I probably listened to Badlands, Promised Land, Brilliant Disguise, and Girls In Their Summer Clothes about 400 times (iTunes counts these things - who knew at the time?) while the crisis was all over me. I also listened to True Devotion by the BoDeans too as many times, and a few other songs. The power of redemption is the hope we all need. Don't know where people are in their lives sometimes. We keep that to ourselves - sometimes to a fault - save for the most intimate of relationships.

I don't know what it is about faith and hope that keep us going. In a religious sense so many of us don't express it. Church does not inspire it as often as we need it to. Sometimes I think instead of tired old hymns we should sing Badlands.

"I believe in the love that you gave me.
I believe in the faith that can save me.
I believe in the hope, and I pray that someday it may raise me above these Badlands"

It even reads like a hymn.

Anyway - just been thinking about this. If you know, or sense someone in pain - be there for them. That's why we're here.

No comments:

Post a Comment